Pages

Friday 14 February 2014

University Offers

Hello Everyone!


As of today, Friday 14th February 2014 (also known as Valentine’s Day), I have received all 3 offers from the universities I have applied for. They are all conditional offers, in the hope that I achieve the grades to go in September, which is what I am aiming for.

Although I am 18, which is the right age to go to uni in the UK, I still feel so young- like I shouldn’t be going for interviews, applying for student finance or worrying about money. I should be having fun being young, spending time with friends- but in reality I will still be doing all of this at university, if not having a great time then I will have made lots of new friends who are interested in the same things I am. Whilst writing this I am getting super excited for September to come, not only will I have just started a degree, but I will either be, or nearly be 19 (Woah! Getting old, aha :P).

The 3 courses I have applied to do are;
* Magazine Journalism and Feature Writing- Southampton Solent University

* Multimedia Journalism- Southampton Solent University

* Journalism- Portsmouth University

3 very different courses in the subject of journalism, but from all I anticipate to gain the same if not similar skills of getting me closer to my ambition of becoming a magazine journalist or designing magazine layouts.

As you can possibly tell (if you know Hampshire, or have heard of it) that the two universities are both near each other (about 30 mins drive between the 2) which suggests that I don’t want to move away from home. This is partly true! Instead I will commute daily to and from my lectures. I see it as a blessing that the course I REALLY want to do (Magazine Journalism and Feature Writing) is so close to where I live! :D It just means the whole 3 years of uni will work out cheaper for me. For the tuition fees alone, after the degree I will be in £27,000 in debt- however, this is the cheapest loan you will ever pay back. My dad has said to me ‘Just think of it as a tax, paying a small amount back each month, ONLY when you earn over £21,000’- what a wise dad I have!

For me now it is a case of replying to these offers, selecting my ‘firm choice’ and my ‘insurance choice’, after that I have to wait for August to come round and open that envelope which will contain my fate (Ooo, scary!)

Congratulations if many of you, like me, have received all your offers! And I suppose it’s going to be a shared ‘Good Luck’ in your exams to everyone in this situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment